[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 17 07:17:06 PDT 2016

On 17 October 2016 at 12:02, Sylvain Bertrand
<sylvain.bertrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is modern c++.

I rather consider it a solution to the weirdness of C++98, but I see
your point. :)

> I can have a reasonable system boostrape-ed
> with (tinycc/alternative C compiler), but only in the gcc world since
> a modern c++ compiler is only bootsrape-able from near any C compiler
> there. clang and llvm are unable to do it. That why I would need to
> get 2 gccs: "any C compiler" -> gcc 4.7.4 -> gcc recent_version ->
> llvm.

I got it, and I understand your constraints. We have similar issues
when building GCC from scratch.

But for your distro, you only do that once per release, right?

Once you have your system compiler, than shipping it as a binary
package (or part of the base installation), should make it trivial to
all users.

Even if your system's package manager is port-based (like
Gentoo/BSD/AUR), that you need to build packages from scratch, you'd
still need the system compiler to be already installed, right?

And I'm assuming that, once you picked a system compiler, you stay
with it for at least a few months, which makes the 4-stage
recompilation a pain, but not a critical issue.

Or am I assuming too much?

cheers,
--renato