[llvm-dev] Can LLVM emit machine code faster with no optimization passes?

mats petersson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 15 12:08:11 PDT 2016

On 15 October 2016 at 02:36, Gerolf Hoflehner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > On Oct 12, 2016, at 12:58 PM, Jonas Maebe via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/10/16 20:32, Matthias Braun via llvm-dev wrote:
> >> But just as food for though: What if msvc did some minimal
> >> optimisations, found out that half the sourcecode is unreachable and
> >> removes it, while llvm with no optimisations just compiles everything?
> >
> > llvm is actually extremely slow when it has to remove lots of dead code.
> I experienced that in the beginning when working on our llvm backend. I had
> some bugs in our code generator that caused about half of the llvm IR code
> to be dead, and compiling that code with -O1 made llvm extremely slow.
>
> When you encounter such a problem i encourage you to file a bug and give
> people the opportunity to analyze and  - in case - perhaps fix the
> underlying issue. Here I don’t know what you mean by “extremely slow” or
> “incredibly slow”  - nor your basis of comparison.

If I remember correctly, the reply on the LLVM chat when I first mentioned
this was "but don't do that, clang has code go avoid that, so you should do
the same" (in other words, LLVM is not supposed to do well in the example
given, because you are supposed to use memcpy or similar to copy larger
data structures) - I think this is a but "unfriendly" to compiler writers,
but I see the point in some way.

I'm not sure there are other cases, where this symptom is obvious.

--
Mats