[llvm-dev] [RFC] Increase minimum supported GCC version for building LLVM to 4.8

Pete Cooper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 12 16:59:16 PDT 2016

+1 from me.

But which version of 4.8.x?  4.8.0 was released in March 2013 while 4.8.5 is June 2015 (see https://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html <https://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html>)

Thats an awfully long time between those dates, so i can’t imagine everyone being on 4.8.5, but shouldn’t we aim for the highest possible one if we’re bumping versions anyway?

Looking at Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gcc-4.8 <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gcc-4.8>), appears that 4.8.4 is available for many platforms, so if possible that might be a good version to do.

Cheers,
Pete