[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 4 08:31:54 PDT 2016

On 4 Oct 2016, at 16:29, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the release process, but couldn't most of the concerns raised in this thread be addressed by shipping prebuilt binaries for these big platforms with older toolchains? How much of a burden is that on the release maintainer?

Only if we get pre-built binaries of both release and debug configurations, with RTTI enabled[1], otherwise it’s only useful to end users, not to people wanting to develop on top of LLVM (as we use it in the compiler course).

David

[1] This actually shouldn’t be an issue, but last year someone removed some virtual functions from Instructions.h, so now we emit the vtable in every object and anything including LLVM headers breaks if compiled with RTTI, even if not subclassing any LLVM classes.