[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 4 08:29:14 PDT 2016

I'm not familiar with the release process, but couldn't most of the
concerns raised in this thread be addressed by shipping prebuilt binaries
for these big platforms with older toolchains? How much of a burden is that
on the release maintainer?

I ask because many of these LTS distros are notoriously slow at updating
their packages. While some people may think C++14 doesn't provide enough
bang for the buck to justify bumping to GCC 4.9, C++17 definitely does. But
at that point we're going to be talking about GCC 6.1 or 6.2, which is
going to be significantly harder unless we want to wait 5-7 years, and I
suspect people won't.

So it might be worth it to start thinking about a long term solution early