[llvm-dev] Live interval analysis on LLVM IR (not on Machine instructions)

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 25 05:05:01 PDT 2016

   Hello.
     Thank you very much for the research paper. I will try to make use of the algorithms
it presents.

     I just want to add that I found a 3rd party project doing dataflow analysis for LLVM
IR at https://github.com/rohitjha/cse231-proj2. As written at
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~r1jha/#five , the project's description is:
     "Dataflow Analysis Framework for LLVM
  This is an extensible dataflow analysis framework for analyzing and optimizing LLVM IR
code. The framework runs forward optimistic iterative dataflow analyses such as Constant
Propagation, Available Expressions, Range Analysis (variable and array) and
Intra-procedural Pointer Analysis. Using these, checking for array access bounds,
optimization such as Constant Folding, Branch Folding and Common Subexpression Elimination
are easily implemented."
     I've started using it - need to adapt it a bit to work with LLVM 3.9. The project
seems promising.

    I'm a bit surprised LLVM does not contain a DFA module for LLVM IR. I noticed that
lib/Analysis/AliasAnalysisEvaluator.cpp and ConstantFolding.cpp seem to implement DFA, but
it does not say it; also, lib/Transforms/Scalar/EarlyCSE.cpp performs CSE but without DFA
it seems; as already mentioned, there is also lib/CodeGen/LiveIntervalAnalysis.cpp but
this pass is performed on Machine instructions.

   Best regards,
     Alex