[llvm-dev] [RFC] Helping release management

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 18 11:40:42 PDT 2016

On 18 May 2016 at 17:32, Quentin Colombet <qcolombet at apple.com> wrote:
> Just to make sure I got essence of what you said, the patch I suggested for the commit message policy is not good to you, right?

Yeah. I don't speak for the community, of course, but I personally
don't think we should encode more than we have, since you're already
free to add what you think is necessary to your commit messages.

Having said that, Linaro is experimenting with command line tools to
automatically create Jira bugs, and I'll suggest a mode where you
provide a branch and the tool creates one bug and add the messages of
all commits beyond master as comments. The rest of the meta-data,
however, has to come from command line options or configuration files,
as we don't want to leak our own patterns to all the FOSS projects we
contribute to. :)

cheers,
--renato