[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Larry Gritz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 7 11:55:33 PDT 2016

Weighing in as a mostly-lurker:

A CoC is a great idea. I'm ok with Chandler's current draft. I'm ok with his first draft. I'm ok with just adopting a standard one like Swift did. I think it's important to enumerate several of the most common kinds of harassment, and it's understood that it's not a comprehensive list.

I think the pedantry of this thread is unwarranted; the very real cancer of pervasive tech-community harassment dwarfs the slim chances of the CoC itself being somehow abused, so I think it's a no-brainer to adopt it and move on. We can always revisit if it becomes a problem in practice, but my intuition is that a year from now it will have long since faded as a point of controversy.

Many thanks to everybody who has participated in drafting the CoC. You're getting more grief than you deserve.

--
Larry Gritz
lg at larrygritz.com