[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 6 14:21:17 PDT 2016

> On May 5, 2016, at 5:55 PM, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Am 06.05.2016 um 01:26 schrieb Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev:
>>
>> There are
>> many many people who aren’t even commenting at all because they fear
>> being attacked in this thread.
>
> Now you're contradicting LLVM's own description that it's a friendly community.
>
> Also:
> How many is "many, many", actually? How many of these are really in fear, how many are just trying to impose their mindset without actually planning to contribute in earnest, how many are so fearful that they should really seek professional help?

And this is illustrating my point. I don’t really appreciate the joke about seeking professional help. Given how many hundreds of community members we have, and there are maybe 30 responding on this thread? I have spoken to many more at LLVM Dev Meetings who are in favor of a Code of Conduct and I suspect many are fearful of responding here.

> > There are many who aren’t responding
>> because they agree we need one and just want this thing done and
>> don’t want to talk about it anymore.
>
> Well, I can imagine that those who want to push in that direction don't want the opposition.
>
>> I don’t think we will agree about the need for a code of conduct. I
>> just don’t see it happening. Its not a US versus everywhere else
>> thing. All of the issues the code of conduct touches on are universal
>> across everywhere.
>
> Harassment is indeed universal.
> The ideas about how to best deal that with are not.

I’m pretty positive that harassment of any kind should not be tolerated or allowed. I’m not sure how there can be different ideas on how to deal with it.

-Tanya