[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 05:23:18 PDT 2016

Is it so simple though?

For example - I generally find a minimal or moderate amount of
profanity be both acceptable and actually useful from time to time. On
a mailing list there's a ton of context and tone lost, but on a
youtube post or podcast you have a bit extra.. in person there's also
non-verbal communication.

If I flip off someone, which is typically considered some level of
moderately offensive, in the LLVM community - what then?

Is the list PG, PG-13, R or at what level do "we" adults all consider
"ok". Even on broadcast tv (in the US) you'll hear some profanity.
(context)
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/obscene-indecent-and-profane-broadcasts

Some people have pointed out that they don't like the R-rated style of
the LKML. Profanity and no holds barred just isn't for some people. I
can respect that, but personally I find it more funny and raw/honest.

What I'm trying to say - define offensive.. it will probably all come
down to a "reasonable person who is part of the community" - a noobie
could roll in and drop some 4 letter words and mean no harm.. that
could be on irc or the mailing list or... someone would probably let
him know what the community expects in that circumstance.. We don't
need to point him at some complicated *** wall of text describing blah
blah blah..

So using myself as an example - Above I censored myself, but any
reasonable person could probably figure out which word I meant...

Since David's my friend I'll pick on him for a minute - David C. I
think you're a F**** m*** f*****er - Should he be offended or do we
play a complicated game of guess what I meant.

Things not yet covered so far.... and this is super difficult to articulate...

On the list exists one person whom is an excellent engineer (not me),
but he sometimes comes across just on the left side of being a bully
(I hope not me). Never crossing the line - his attitude comes really
close, but probably never crosses the line of being pushy(guilty).
I've seen only a handful of people actually stand up against him,
because mostly his technical stuff is great and spot on. IMHO we just
all be a little bit tough and NO_ACTION_REQUIRED. With some written
policy in place - I could see this person then having to maybe hold
back his very valuable feedback, because sometimes you just have to
fight for it.. Pretty please don't restrict passionate people - when
you love something, you passionately need to defend it at times..
Sincere intentions, but strong words..
----------------
I've given examples of why a complicated and extensive approach may
fail. To try to turn this into something constructive. I really hope
for something super super simple.. (KISS)

In the world there exists arbitrators/moderators - Why not define a
couple of "adults" who have demonstrated a history of strong and
reasonable character. People who can defuse situations and basically
be the guy which "we" trust to make good decisions. Elect 3 -
something pops up... we go to them to make a decision or help fix
stuff. It's low volume so shouldn't be a burden.. they would likely
help out anyway..