[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 04:58:34 PDT 2016

On 5 May 2016 at 12:42, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> I'm against the ownership of firearms, and go at great lengths and
> poorly choosing words in a discussion, which some could consider rude,
> with person X about it. I know person X for decades and have earned
> the right to offend him/her personally as they know I don't mean it
> (could be a joke, and internal one even). This is a very strong
> cultural point in many countries, including Brazil. The stronger two
> people can offend each other and shrug, the stronger their bond is.

Just for the sake of completeness, there are four main cases:

1. I interact with X outside LLVM, Y gets offended. The code has no
part in this whatsoever.

2. I interact with Y outside LLVM, Y gets offended. The code has no
part in this whatsoever.

3. I interact with Y outside LLVM, *about* their ability to perform as
an LLVM developer, Y gets offended. The code *may* have something to
do about it, but as you say, the sanctions *have* to be *way* less
serious.

4. I interact with Y inside LLVM, Y gets offended. That's what the
code is all about.

Makes sense?

--renato