[llvm-dev] Existing studies on the benefits of pointer analysis

Jia Chen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 22 14:33:34 PDT 2016

It's something that I am certainly interested in and qualified to do.

However, the way I read Daniel's reply in this thread is: "LLVM, in its
current form, is unlikely to benefit from a more precise aa". He did
mention that cfl-aa is "more understandable and maintainable", and is
"fast enough", but nothing is said about the benefits. There was some
discussions I could find back in 2014, which basically says that cfl-aa
offers no significant improvement in performance. Things may got greatly
improved since then, yet it is not clear to me what the current
situation is.

With the benefits being unclear a GSoC proposal on this topic may not
look motivated enough.

Best Regards,

--
Jia Chen