[llvm-dev] announcing an *early preview* of a cross-referencing code search website for LLVM

Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 10 13:55:48 PST 2016

Thanks. I was aware of DXR, but I didn't know that they were using Clang.
Kythe uses a similar approach, but there's no need to actually build the
whole project, you just need a compilation database [1]. In LLVM's case, I
need to arrange to build all the tablegen'd files upfront, and I have a
hacky script that does so by parsing the "ninja -t commands" output.

Peter

[1] http://clang.llvm.org/docs/JSONCompilationDatabase.html

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Cacho via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I like Kythe and this approach, but you may want to check DXR [0] that
> is similar (with a little nicer interface). Browse Firefox's code with
> DXR to feel what it's like [1].
> The approach is basically building the project while building all the
> information+references. It's adding plugins for more languages too
> (other than C/C++).
>
> [0] https://github.com/mozilla/dxr
> [1] https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/
>
> On 03/10/2016 02:26 PM, Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've found that one of the most useful tools in the Chromium project
> > is its code search website, http://cs.chromium.org/
> >
> > At http://llvm-cs.pcc.me.uk/ you will find something similar for llvm.
> > You can search the full text of the llvm/clang/lld/lldb repositories
> > using regular expressions, search for declarations (which are
> > prioritized above full-text results), and follow cross references
> > between definitions and references.
> >
> > The code behind this website is based on kythe [1] (Kythe itself uses
> > the clang libraries to parse C++ code) and Russ Cox's codesearch [2]
> > library. I'm planning to open source it and contribute it to the kythe
> > project.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Peter