[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [lldb-dev] Sequential ID Git hook

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 30 12:25:47 PDT 2016

We were using tags for a while in our own SVN->git conversion internally.
(git branch is pushed to SVN and the SVN r-number used to create a tag.)
They are convenient for some things, but each tag adds a new (if small)
file to .git/tags and I don't know that it really scales well when you
are talking about (long term) hundreds of thousands of them.  That was
not what tags were designed for.

We've since stopped creating the tags, and gotten used to not having
them.  We do the 'rev-list --count' trick which mainly gets recorded as
one component of the version number, and it has been working for us.

I think having the number in the commit log (even if it's just for the
superproject) would be preferable.  You can use 'git log --grep' to
find a particular rev if you need to.
--paulr