[llvm-dev] The state of IRPGO (3 remaining work items)

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 26 23:04:16 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:21 PM, Dean Michael Berris <dberris at google.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 2:53 PM Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> There is some misunderstanding about the intention of this flag.  The
>> purpose of the flag is not to turn on profile instrumentation (which
>> already has -fprofile-instr-generate or -fprofile-generate for it), but to
>> select which instrumentors to use for PGO (IR or FE).  I prefer fewer flags
>> too, but sharing flags for completely different purpose does not seem like
>> the right thing to do.
>>

> Ah, right. It does seem like I'm misunderstanding the intention for that
> flag.
>
> FWIW, I think consolidating the flags can happen later on, when we have a
> better idea of how the different instrumentation pieces fit together.

I hope so :)   Note that PGO related instrumentation is not entirely the
same as general profiling instrumentations. The former should also have a
corresponding profile-use component in the compiler.  Current PGO
instrumentation has edge/block profiling and a value profiler component.
The FE based edge/block profiler is also shared with coverage testing.

> Right now IIUC the only other thing that might count as an alternate
> instrumentation implementation is XRay (and I'm not even sure they're
> mutually exclusive either, i.e. both the profiling and XRay instrumentation
> should be able to live together in the same binary).

Sanitizers (asan, tsan, ubsan, msan) are all program instrumenters. Asan
also supports a mode for coverage testing. Profile related, we also have
esan (efficiency sanitizer) under development.  The sanitizer options of
course are unified in its own category.

David