[llvm-dev] TableGen operand question

Jim Grosbach via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 9 14:19:59 PDT 2016

Hi Dawid,

Oh, wow. Flashback time.

PIC18 is unfortunately not a good candidate for an LLVM backend. The separation of program and data memory in the ISA, accumulator based design, and banked data memory are the heavy hitters, but there’s plenty more once you get further. Efficient use of access memory vs. banked memory can get “fun,” for example.

The approach you’re describing for static activation records is a good start. You don’t want to try to assign explicit memory addresses at compile time, though. Do that in the linker. Have the compiler create a symbol for the activation record, including function arguments, that callers know how to reference (no need to get fancy. use something like __Afoo for function foo or something along those lines). Then have a metadata section that records for the linker which other functions get referenced by that function (or have the linker reconstruct via relocations). Use that to build a call graph at link time and allocate the locations for those activation records so that the memory for functions which can ever be live at the same time don’t overlap. Caveats: that means no recursion and no function pointers and no variable length argument lists. Getting bank selection done efficiently for referencing the activation records is hard (for globals in general, really, but extra important for locals). Also means that no function called from the main program can be called, directly or indirectly, from an interrupt function. All of that is solvable. None of it is trivial, and very tricky corner cases abound. All that being said, if you’re going to push forwards, I strongly recommend just doing a software stack to start with. That’s what the various INC/DEC addressing modes on the INDF<n> registers were added for (well, that and better array walking for stuff like memcpy()).

Now, as an alternative, the dsPIC, PIC24 and PIC30 micros are much more amenable to an LLVM backend. There’s still some really crazy stuff to deal with (24-bit wide program memory is happy times), but it’s a much more compiler friendly instruction set and deliberately so.

-Jim