[llvm-dev] Intended behavior of CGSCC pass manager.

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 8 15:22:48 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> still unresolved exactly which semantics we want (more about this below)
>> that are reasonably implementable.
>>
>> AFAICT, there has been no public discussion about what exact semantics we
>> ultimately want to have. We should figure that out.
>>
>> The main difficulty which Chandler described is the apparently quite
>> complex logic surrounding needing to run function passes nested within an
>> SCC pass manager, while providing some guarantees about exactly what order
>> the function passes are run. The existing CGSCC pass manager just punts on
>> some of the problems that arise (look in CGPassManager::runOnModule,
>> CGPassManager::RunAllPassesOnSCC, and CGPassManager::RunPassOnSCC in
>> llvm/lib/Analysis/CallGraphSCCPass.cpp), and these are the problems that
>> Chandler has been trying to solve.
>>
>> (
>> Why is this "function passes inside CGSCC passes" stuff interesting?
>> Because LLVM can do inlining on an SCC (often just a single function) and
>> then run function passes to simplify the function(s) in the SCC before it
>> tries to inline into a parent SCC. (the SCC visitation order is post-order)
>> For example, we may inline a bunch of code, but after inlining we can
>> tremendously simplify the function, and we want to do so before considering
>> this function for inlining into its callers so that we get an accurate
>> evaluation of the inline cost.
>> Based on what Chandler said, it seems that LLVM is fairly unique in this
>> regard and other compilers don't do this (which is why we can't just look
>> at how other compilers solve this problem; they don't have this problem
>> (maybe they should? or maybe we shouldn't?)). For example, he described
>> that GCC uses different inlining "phases"; e.g. it does early inlining on
>> the entire module, then does simplifications on the entire module, then
>> does late inlining on the entire module; so it is not able to incrementally
>> simplify as it inlines like LLVM does.
>> )
>>

> I want to clarify a little more on GCC's behavior.  GCC has two types of
> ipa_passes. One called simple_ipa pass and the other is called regular
> ipa_pass.   A simple IPA pass does not transform IR by itself, but it can
> have function level sub-passes that does transformation. If it has function
> sub-passes, the function passes will be executed in bottom up order just
> like LLVM's CGSCC pass.   A regular ipa pass is somewhat like the module
> pass in LLVM.
>
> GCC's pass pipeline is actually similar to LLVM's pipeline overall: it has
> the following components:
>
> (1) lowering passes
> (2) small/simple IPA passes including the early optimization pipeline
> (bottom-up)
> (3) full ipa pipelines
> (4) post-ipa optimization and code generation.
>
> The difference is that LLVM's (2) includes only inst-combine and simplfy
> CFG, but GCC's (2) is larger which happens also includes an early inlining

So the early inlining is a function pass? In LLVM I think that the function
pass contract would not allow inlining to occur in a function pass (the
contract is theoretically designed to allow function passes to run
concurrently on functions within a module).

>   GCC's (2) is similar to LLVM's CGSCC pass but with fewer passes. The
> inliner is also targeting tiny functions that reduces size overall.
> LLVM's LTO pipeline is kind of like this too.
>
> GCC's (3) includes a full blown regular inlining pass. This inliner uses
> the priority order based algorithm, so bottom-up traversal does not make
> sense. It requires (2) to have pass to collect summary to drive the
> decisions (as well as profile data).

Thanks for this clarification; it is always good to know what other
compilers do for comparison.

-- Sean Silva