[llvm-dev] Switching to git (Windows experience) (was re:[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?)

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 11:06:31 PDT 2016

George Rimar via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

>>Using Git-SVN doesn't automatically make someone familiar with SVN, as
>>much as using GitHub doesn't make you familiar with Git. You can use
>>GitHub for years and have no idea how to do anything else in Git, and
>>still be a perfectly good developer. That's the power of those tools.
>
> Ok, what I wanted to say here that it is hard to discuss something with you're not familar.
> Like for me to discuss git here. So if there is a discussion about moving to git, I assume that
> people who involved should be familar with both when voting for something.
> I think it is not ok to vote just because "I am using it and it is ok for me".

Atlassian has some pretty good documentation about workflows here.  I
encourage perusal.  While git is the technology used for exposition,
they could map pretty well to most other DVCSs and the Centralized
workflow is what SVN supports.

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows/

We use a modified gitflow workflow that handles multiple active release
branches.

I also highly, highly, highly recommend reading Scott Chacon's
_Pro_Git_.  It's very well written, easy to understand and provides a
lot of insight.  And it's free online!

https://progit.org/
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/

I really can't recommend this enough.  This is the book that helped me
understand git in a very deep way.  It's pragmatic and unlike most other
git tutorials it starts with practical work scenarios, not with the gory
details of git's data model.  The data model is extremely cool but you
don't need to be an expert on it to use git effectively.

Buy the book and support good documentation!

                           -David