[llvm-dev] Switching to git (Windows experience) (was re:[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?)

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 06:01:35 PDT 2016

On 3 June 2016 at 13:31, George Rimar <grimar at accesssoftek.com> wrote:
> I hope so. At this moment I see that TortoiseSVN is like a standard,
> and looks like there is no standart GUI for git, what makes me think about possible
> troubles people can face because of low quality of such tools.

This is true, but in a weird way. :)

TortoiseSVN is the remaining tool from an old era. I've used it
before, as I also used other low quality alternatives. Tortoise is the
only one that survived and no is doing SVN interfaces any more, so it
becomes a standard by default. While I remember to like it, it wasn't
the standard back then, so now I can't say that it's current status is
solely on merit.

Whereas there are lots of interfaces for Git, most of them rubbish
(I've tried them in a way to encourage my son to use Git, he ended up
using the console).

GitHub is one of the solutions that stands out, and that's mostly
based on merit. It's not perfect, but it's been ahead of the
competition for a while now.

> Ok, what I wanted to say here that it is hard to discuss something with you're not familar.
> Like for me to discuss git here. So if there is a discussion about moving to git, I assume that
> people who involved should be familar with both when voting for something.
> I think it is not ok to vote just because "I am using it and it is ok for me".

If we do the vote too early, it can only be based on unfounded opinions.

> That probably worth to try. My concerns mostly about mandatory of that,
> when looks it just possible that soon I`ll have no other choise.

I honestly think you should, regardless of LLVM. :)

> It sound like you're trying to find something that is not possible with svn just to justify
> that git is a must. I hope I understood that wrong :)

You did. :)

The original email (and many subsequent ones) were clear: this is a
cost saving move. And the savings are huge.

cheers,
-renato