[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [lldb-dev] GitHub anyone?

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 10:56:05 PDT 2016

"Craig, Ben" <ben.craig at codeaurora.org> writes:

> If we have automation that looks at public topic branches (possibly
> because of a github pull request), then people will start making
> branches public sooner rather than later. That's when we start getting
> into fixup territory.

Automation should never be a substitute for developer testing, because
it leads to exactly what you're describing.  If we don't have one
already, there should be a policy about this.

> If we don't put any of that automation in place, and we only run tests
> post-commit, then yeah, I think that keeping changes private as long
> as possible is probably best.

Do you mean post-merge?

I think it's fine if we simply have a policy that says limit history
rewrites once a branch is pushed to the server.  I think most people are
knowledgeable/responsible and when people inevitably make mistakes we
can do some gentle reminders.  It's not a huge deal, just something to
be aware of.

                              -David