[llvm-dev] Target Acceptance Policy

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 29 10:00:11 PDT 2016

On 29 July 2016 at 17:50, Eli Bendersky <eliben at google.com> wrote:
> While I think the 6-month mark is artificial (what's wrong about a vague
> "several months"? these are policies/guidelines, not legal contracts),

I'm ok with that, too.

Though, what do you think about the "2 months after all done"? Maybe
"at least 2"?

Giving a number makes people think less about the uncertainties, and
be more accepting, I think.

> FWIW
> we (Lanai maintainers) don't particularly mind to wait until Sep 28 if
> that's deemed important by the community. There's no rush, and we don't
> request any special-casing here.

I know. And I think you guys are "at least 2 months with all bullets
checked", which for me is the important bit.

People that don't work on LLVM (or other large upstream projects)
don't quite get the volume of changes and interactions that are
needed.

We just need to make sure communities that want to be part of LLVM
show they understand.

cheers,
--renato