[llvm-dev] [RFC] Make Lanai backend non-experimental

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 25 16:18:02 PDT 2016

On 26 July 2016 at 00:08, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> It is unquestionably easier for a contributor to land their backend in-tree
> than to maintain it out-of-tree.  This is because landing it in tree shifts
> the maintenance burden from the *contributor* to the *community*.  If there
> is low value to the community, then this is a "bad deal” for the project as
> a whole, since there is only so much attention to go around.

This expresses my idea very clearly.

The initial Lanai thread had hints that this could be at play, though
they seem to be releasing emulators and documents, which to mee it
seems like that was just FUD.

However, the fact that people did consider it means they care about
not being tossed a piece of code to baby sit, and this has *nothing*
to do with the license.

I'll start the discussion in a new thread, since it's not appropriate
to steal the Lanai discussion to that topic. Please, let's continue
there (Target Acceptance Policy).

cheers,
--renato