[llvm-dev] InlineAsm and allocation to wrong register for indirect access

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 22 02:30:31 PDT 2016

Hi,

I'm not sure where this decision is done but it's possible that there's no constraint-specific selection of register classes for memory operands at the moment in which case it probably uses ${Target}RegisterInfo::getPointerRegClass() without checking the constraint code. I had a similar problem with constraint-specific offset ranges a year or so ago and found that all memory constraints were hardcoded to be 'm' regardless of the constraint in the inline assembly statement.

Here's a couple things to look for that might help you find the right code: If you search for getFlagWordForMem() you'll find the code that passes the constraint id (Constraint_m, Constraint_ZC, etc.) into SelectionDAG's ISD::INLINEASM node and https://reviews.llvm.org/rL275786 made the constraint available to the TargetOpcode::INLINEASM instruction. Also, register constraints pick the register class (and sometimes the register too) in ${Target}TargetLowering::getRegForInlineAsmConstraint().

Hope that helps