[llvm-dev] RFC: Strong GC References in LLVM

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 12:17:07 PDT 2016

Okay, so it sounds like it might actually be better to be even more low
level, call it "ExtendedBBInfo" or something, and rename what it provides
to be more clearly structural:

A. Inst * FirstIsGuaranteedToTransferExecutionToSuccessor(BB) (naming
bikeshed open on this one :P)
B. Inst * LastIsGuaranteedToTransferExecutionToSuccessor(BB)
C. Inst *FirstMayThrow(BB)
D. Inst *LastMayThrow(BB)

Most things want to know if a given inst is before or after these.

Since we have to touch the entire set of instructions for a bb anyway, we
could also provide dominates (like orderedbasicblock) to give you the
answer to that question for free (otherwise everything has to rewalk the
entire inst list again)

Rather than make it part of the API for this class, this would basically be
making OrderedBasicBlock an interface, and this class happens to be able to
provide a pointer to something satisfying that interface as well.

(IE getOrderedBasicBlock() on EBBInfo will return you something that  has
locallyDominates())