[llvm-dev] RFC: Strong GC References in LLVM

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 11:59:33 PDT 2016

On 07/21/2016 10:30 AM, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> [...]
>>         but also don't want to block any current (or future honestly)
>>         work on this until we have a reasonable firm plan of action.
>>
>>         One idea would be to explicitly acknowledge that our "basic
>>         blocks" are actually "extended basic blocks" with internal
>>         exits due to exception propagation, noreturn, and (recently)
>>         guards.  I could see a couple of implementation strategies here:
>>         1) Extend BasicBlock to explicitly track potential early
>>         exiting instructions.  This would probably have to be
>>         conservative so that things like nothrow inference aren't
>>         required to update all callers in one go.
>>         2) Conservative assume that BasicBlock has an unknown number
>>         of early exiting instructions and write an analysis pass
>>         which answers questions about where those early exits are.
>>         Any pass which does code motion would require this analysis.
>>         (This is essentially the principled version of our current
>>         hacks.)
>
>         This analysis can be lazy/incremental. Most passes only do
>         “safe” speculation and code sinking without side effects.
>

>     While I agree it can be lazy, and should be an analysis, i'm,
>     again, really not sure which passes you are thinking about here
>     that do code sinking/speculation that won't need it.
>
>     Here's the list definitely needing it right now:
>     GVN
>     GVNHoist
>     LICM
>     LoadCombine
>     LoopReroll
>     LoopUnswitch
>     LoopVersioningLICM
>     MemCpyOptimizer
>     MergedLoadStoreMotion
>     Sink
>
>     The list is almost certainly larger than this, this was a pretty
>     trivial grep and examination.
>     (and doesn't take into account bugs, etc)
>

> (Note, this list is stuff in the Scalar directory only. Everything in
> Vectorize would n eed it, etc)
>
> And in case folks want more evidence that reasonable llvm developers
> need something that just gives easy and right answers, see
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D22547 from just yesterday :)
>
> To move this along, i will go build the analysis (I already have it
> mostly done, actually).  If someone updates our docs to make this
> stuff clear and obvious, that would be wonderful :)
>
> The analysis currently computes, internally, for a given BB:
>
> EarliestLoadHoistBarrier (used to see if you can move something out of
> a block)
> LatestLoadHoistBarrier (used to find the latest safe insertion point
> in a block, if any)
> EarliestStoreSinkBarrier (insertion)
> LatestStoreSinkBarrier (movement)
>

> (stores are maythrow dependent, loads are
> isGuaranteedToTransferExecutionToSuccessor dependent)
>
> I'm still coming up with the external API, the users all want to know
> either:
>
> 1. Can i move a load up out of this block to a direct predecessor
> 2. Can i move a store down out of this block to a direct successor
I would argue that we should have this analysis *only* report the EBB
information.  Doing this in the form of the information you've mentioned
is fine, but I would not want to see this become our deref analysis for
instance.  I think that needs to be a separate analysis which is well
layered on top of this one.  (i.e. once I encounter a hoist barrier, I
need to then ask if a load is safe to speculate beyond that point as a
separate question.)