[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 10:03:20 PDT 2016

Monolithic is trying to solve the wrong problem - it's that simple.
Any discussion or attempt to coddle those who think it's necessary is
a waste of time. #dictator

As part of any potential migration, everyone involved must start to
accept certain changes, (large or small) to the workflow. The big
challenge here isn't technical, it's mindset. It's convincing any
group of people who object that it won't be as painful to them as they
think. (I hope this is a true statement)

#if - there's a group of people are : dogmatic, stubborn and
unreasonable - others outside that group should decide how to deal
with them: ignore, coddle, placate or other.

I don't think there's a perfect technical solution to make everyone
happy - I think focusing on the social engineering will be an equal or
greater importance. (herding cats)

With the survey - I guess you could include some level of objection
like - strongly against and over my dead body type reactions are
probably the most to be cautious about. Anyone surveyed who fall in
the middle or slightly left/right can be seen as "flexible". If it
turns out that they survey shows only 1-5 people with extreme views
and 100 people with moderate or flexible views - those are hard
numbers. From there decisions can be made and long unending threads
like this can die - so we can all get back to reading more important
things.