[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 20 19:38:10 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 7:08 PM James Y Knight via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Before we can agree to merge to a single-repo, there's one further
> question that must be resolved:

I disagree that we have to solve this first. Personally, I think that we
should ifgure out whether we want to have separate repos despite them being
version-locked first. And if we do, then we should discuss what the layout
should look like.

> Should the layout in the merged repository be:
> 1) Like the "llvm-project" git repository is now:
>
> <root>/llvm/
> <root>/clang/
> <root>/compiler-rt
>
> 2) Like the "ideal merged checkout" is now:
> llvm/
> llvm/tools/clang
> llvm/projects/compiler-rt
>

> I don't much care which of those is chosen. I have a slight preference for
> #1, for ease of doing things like grep/log/etc on llvm by itself, excluding
> all the other projects. But either way seems probably fine, and an
> improvement over multiple repositories.

FWIW, I strongly prefer #2, but I think the high order bit is the
repository question.