[llvm-dev] [RFC] Make Lanai backend non-experimental

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 19 10:37:31 PDT 2016

On 19 July 2016 at 17:52, David Chisnall <david.chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> The IR disruptions for CHERI aren’t that major (the main thing is that we allow alloca’s in different address spaces, but that’s not too difficult to upstream),

I remember things like inttoptr / ptrtoint were major pains to you and
could be even experienced in the front-end (constant folding, etc).
Has that changed recently?

> but it does fail to tick one box that you didn’t list:
>
> * The ISA is stable and mature.

Indeed! That was part of the "documents published", but I agree, one
can "publish" anything these days. :)

> A few things that we’ve done are definitely ‘research quality’ code and wouldn’t meet upstream’s code quality standards either.

Some "research quality" internals can be seen in any back-end if you
look closely enough, but having most of it being flaky is indeed, a
big problem that will show up in breakages for unrelated changes.

cheers,
--renato