[llvm-dev] [RFC] Make Lanai backend non-experimental

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 19 09:52:10 PDT 2016

On 19 Jul 2016, at 17:42, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> * the CHERI back-end has an active community and interested
> developers, but it would disrupt the IR too much,

The IR disruptions for CHERI aren’t that major (the main thing is that we allow alloca’s in different address spaces, but that’s not too difficult to upstream), but it does fail to tick one box that you didn’t list:

* The ISA is stable and mature.

The CHERI ISA is now evolving a lot less quickly than it was a year ago, but we do still make changes that break legacy code and so it would not be helpful to have a compiler with a release cycle that is completely decoupled from our FPGA / QEMU releases.  It would be annoying for everyone upstream to have something in tree where the ISA is a moving target.

A few things that we’ve done are definitely ‘research quality’ code and wouldn’t meet upstream’s code quality standards either.

David