[llvm-dev] Diff to add ARMv6L to Target parser

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 5 03:40:24 PST 2016

On 5 January 2016 at 10:55, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 5 January 2016 at 10:28, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's rather a hack, given that the 'l' actually has semantic
>> meaning, but I suppose I could live with it.
>
> Not really.

I disagree. "armv7l" is created specifically by Linux appending a
little-endian 'l' to an "armv7" base. It's much less common (because
no-one cares about big-endian), but "armv7b" also exists. As do
"armv6l", "armv6b" and probably "armv8" equivalents too if you ran a
32-bit kernel there. Adding random aliasing on an ad-hoc basis doesn't
scale or represent what's really going on.

> In the Arch side, ARMv7l is *really* ARMv7A, so it should not have any
> further knowledge about the rest of the environment.

What does RTLinux on an R-class CPU present itself as? My guess would
be "armv7l" too. I'm not too concerned about deciding that we only
care about A-class Linux, but I am concerned about taking an
unprincipled approach to the l/b suffix.

Not enough that I can't live with it though. As you say this whole
area's enough of a mess already, one more bit isn't going to break the
world.

Cheers.

Tim.