[llvm-dev] Diff to add ARMv6L to Target parser

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 5 02:55:53 PST 2016

On 5 January 2016 at 10:28, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's rather a hack, given that the 'l' actually has semantic
> meaning, but I suppose I could live with it.

Not really.

Today, all platform decisions are in the Triple class, which is known
to be insufficient.

Until the Tuple class replaces the Triple for such uses, we'll have to
continue on the same implementation, which is to set up a triple and a
lot of other independent flags which convey the original idea.

In the Arch side, ARMv7l is *really* ARMv7A, so it should not have any
further knowledge about the rest of the environment.

Ideally, the driver should set up a Tuple object with all the
decisions, using the TargetParser *only* to map from text to enum, and
using those values to get a complete picture, also based on the
environment, etc.

Once Tuple holds all the info, we can have other enum values to mean
all other environmental options, but none of them should be in the
Arch portion.

cheers,
--renato