[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 14:21:28 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Subject kinda says it all. Here is my rationale:
>
> The test-suite is really weird relative to the rest of the LLVM project:
> 1) It contains all manner of crazily licensed code.
> 2) We don't really care about the history at all. Any concerns around linear
> history or bisection are pretty much irrelevant.
> 3) We don't ever plan to have LLVM code move into or out from the test-suite
> 4) Its already big, and really should be much bigger. We shouldn't have
> incentives to keep stuff out of the test suite because of size, hosting
> cost, or anything else.

I don't think I've ever actually successfully run the test-suite and
fully understood what I was doing. As you say, it is kind of a weird
relative to the LLVM project, but wouldn't moving it out of the
repository make it even more so? I wish it was instead more integrated
with the project, more useful, and better understood.

We branch, tag, and release test-suite as we do with the other modules
as part of the release process. That's maybe not super important for
most folks, but moving it to a separate repository would make that
process more complicated.

If the main motivation is 4), maybe we should consider moving the
whole repository to something that scales better?

Sorry if this is coming across as negative, but it just seems that the
most natural place for the LLVM test-suite is with the rest of LLVM,
so I don't see why we should move it without a good reason.

 - Hans