[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 13:15:14 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Subject kinda says it all. Here is my rationale:
>
> The test-suite is really weird relative to the rest of the LLVM project:
> 1) It contains all manner of crazily licensed code.
> 2) We don't really care about the history at all. Any concerns around
> linear history or bisection are pretty much irrelevant.
> 3) We don't ever plan to have LLVM code move into or out from the
> test-suite
> 4) Its already big, and really should be much bigger. We shouldn't have
> incentives to keep stuff out of the test suite because of size, hosting
> cost, or anything else.
>
> For all of these reasons, and also because I'd like to see how well (or
> rather, how poorly) a service like GitHub actually works for the project,
> it seems like splitting the test-suite out of the current subversion
> repository and moving it there is the right call.
>
> When I chatted with folks on the board, this made sense to them as well,
> and I've made sure we have a reasonable LLVM organization set up on GitHub
> and all the board members are on it: https://github.com/llvm (I think
> only my membership is public at the moment).
>
> There is still plenty to figure out about how to manage this on github,
> but before doing anything else I just wanted to shoot an email and see if
> folks like this idea.

My question's probably somewhere in this "plenty to figure out" but it'll
be moderately annoying to have multiple ways of managing LLVM subprojects
(yeah, I realize this is sort of an exceptional one - one I don't usually
have checked out anyway, so I don't care too much - but it would break my
cute little script that trawls subrepositories and syncs them all up in my
llvm repo/checkout). Also, I assume there's some amount of version lock
between the rest of the project and the test-suite (cleaning it up if we
make breaking changes, etc - the idea of having LLVM bitcode in there for
Halide would mean that we wouldn't want to run newer versions of the
test-suite on older versions of the compiler, etc).

So, yeah, just curious about the practical problems, no philosophical
objection I suppose.

- Dave