[llvm-dev] [3.8 Release] RC3 has been tagged

Sedat Dilek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 11:08:33 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 7:57 PM, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 5:15 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Anton Korobeynikov
>> <anton at korobeynikov.info> wrote:
>>> Git tags and SVN tags are completely different beasts (git tag is
>>> simply a "second name" attached to revision, while on svn the tag
>>> could be arbitrary different). There is no way to automate the process
>>> - in general svn tag might not correspond (by contents) to any other
>>> revision in the repository.
>>>
>>> The only way to somehow emulate svn tags on git is to create a
>>> separate branch on each tag, however, this is very redundant provided
>>> that we're already having a release branch.
>>>

>> The release-announce to v3.8.0rc3 listed only one single SVN revision
>> - not sure this was for LLVM SVN.
>> The SVN revisions for clang (cfe) and compiler-rt were not announced.
>> For me this means to look at the SVN online repositories and check -
>> which is not very (Git-)user-friendly.
>
> SVN revisions are global to the repository (in SVN terms, llvm, cfe,
> etc. are modules within the repository). To get the latest change in
> the cfe and compiler-rt modules on the 3.8 branch, you'd need to look
> for the last commit on the branch with revision <= the revision I
> tagged at. It looks like you've found the right ones.
>
> I agree this isn't very git user friendly, but as Anton pointed out it
> seems tricky to get tags into the git mirror.
>
> If you just want to build source tarballs at the tag, I'd recommend
> using "svn export", as done in utils/release/export.sh.

Thanks for the detailed explanations.

BTW, I switched over from configure-and-make to cmake build-system.
( NOTE: With LLVM v3.9 configure-and-make will be removed (DEPRECATED). )

With parallel-compile-jobs = 1 this takes approx one hour longer.
Any idea?

Shall I open a new thread on this?

- Sedat -