[llvm-dev] [3.8 Release] RC3 has been tagged

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 10:57:12 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 5:15 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Anton Korobeynikov
> <anton at korobeynikov.info> wrote:
>> Git tags and SVN tags are completely different beasts (git tag is
>> simply a "second name" attached to revision, while on svn the tag
>> could be arbitrary different). There is no way to automate the process
>> - in general svn tag might not correspond (by contents) to any other
>> revision in the repository.
>>
>> The only way to somehow emulate svn tags on git is to create a
>> separate branch on each tag, however, this is very redundant provided
>> that we're already having a release branch.
>>

> The release-announce to v3.8.0rc3 listed only one single SVN revision
> - not sure this was for LLVM SVN.
> The SVN revisions for clang (cfe) and compiler-rt were not announced.
> For me this means to look at the SVN online repositories and check -
> which is not very (Git-)user-friendly.

SVN revisions are global to the repository (in SVN terms, llvm, cfe,
etc. are modules within the repository). To get the latest change in
the cfe and compiler-rt modules on the 3.8 branch, you'd need to look
for the last commit on the branch with revision <= the revision I
tagged at. It looks like you've found the right ones.

I agree this isn't very git user friendly, but as Anton pointed out it
seems tricky to get tags into the git mirror.

If you just want to build source tarballs at the tag, I'd recommend
using "svn export", as done in utils/release/export.sh.

Cheers,
Hans