[llvm-dev] Assign different RegClasses to a virtual register based on 'uniform' attribute?

Ruiling Song via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 21 16:02:38 PST 2016

2016年12月22日星期四,Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net> 写道:

tom at stellard.net>>:

>> > Hi Tom,
>> >
>> > I take a look at the code, it looks like a good idea. It really helps
me a lot. Thanks Tom! I have a question for the code, why it only pass
copy-like instructions as TopInst to moveToALU()? Is there any special
reason to do like this? I thought that iterating through all the MIs and
fix regClass if needed would be ok. Am I thinking it too simple?

>> > - Ruiling

>> > --
>> > - Ruiling
>> >

>> The instruction selector will insert these copies to satisfy the
register operand constraints, so by finding all users (and users of users)
of the illegal copies you find the same thing. The instruction set is
different, so we’re really replacing the instructions and not exactly just
changing the register classes.

>> I think this process logically makes sense, moving things to vector as
forced. However I’m uncertain if this is the best approach. I’ve debated
going the other direction and selecting everything to vector instruction,
and having an optimization pass move parts to scalars. This is what the AMD
compiler does. There are different trade offs, but one advantage is you
immediately have something resembling a legal program to begin with.

> I'm not sure how far along you are in the backend, but the new
> GlobalISel solves this problem pretty well by assigning register
> banks to instructions before instruction selection.
Hi Tom,

I am still at early stage, I will take a look at GlobalISel. Thanks for
pointing out this.

- Ruiling

--
- Ruiling