[llvm-dev] Assign different RegClasses to a virtual register based on 'uniform' attribute?

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 21 08:28:17 PST 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:31:57AM -0500, Matt Arsenault wrote:

> > > In the AMDGPU backend we select everything we can to scalar
> > > instructions, and then after instruction selection, we move
> > > non-uniform values to the vector ALU.  This is done by
> > > the SIFixSGPRCopiesPass, which relies heavily on
> > > SIInstrInfo::moveToVALU().
> >
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I take a look at the code, it looks like a good idea. It really helps me a lot. Thanks Tom! I have a question for the code, why it only pass copy-like instructions as TopInst to moveToALU()? Is there any special reason to do like this? I thought that iterating through all the MIs and fix regClass if needed would be ok. Am I thinking it too simple?
> >
> > - Ruiling
> > >
> > > -Tom

> > --
> > - Ruiling
> >

> The instruction selector will insert these copies to satisfy the register operand constraints, so by finding all users (and users of users) of the illegal copies you find the same thing. The instruction set is different, so we’re really replacing the instructions and not exactly just changing the register classes.
>
> I think this process logically makes sense, moving things to vector as forced. However I’m uncertain if this is the best approach. I’ve debated going the other direction and selecting everything to vector instruction, and having an optimization pass move parts to scalars. This is what the AMD compiler does. There are different trade offs, but one advantage is you immediately have something resembling a legal program to begin with.

I'm not sure how far along you are in the backend, but the new
GlobalISel solves this problem pretty well by assigning register
banks to instructions before instruction selection.

If you're just getting started you may want to look at using GlobalISel
from the start I think it will make things much easier for you.

-Tom