[llvm-dev] Publication of an llvm-based tool that protects against fault injection attacks

Thierno Barry via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 30 02:04:12 PDT 2016

Hello,

My team and I have recently published an LLVM-based tool at
“Cryptography and Security
in Computing Systems 2016” (CS2), and we would like to add it on the
list of LLVM related publications.
The goal of our tool is to automatically protect the code being compiled
against fault injection attacks

*Title:* Compilation of a Countermeasure Against Instruction-Skip Fault
Attacks
Available at the ACM Digital Library:
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2858931
And also here: http://thiernobarry.fr/publications/preprint/T-Barry.pdf

Abstract:
========

Physical attacks especially fault attacks represent one of the major
threats against embedded systems. In the state of the art, software
countermeasures against fault attacks are either applied at the source
code level where it will very likely be removed at compilation time, or
at assembly level where several transformations need to be performed on
the assembly code and lead to significant overheads both in terms of
code size and execution time. This paper presents the use of compiler
techniques to efficiently automate the application of software
countermeasures against instruction-skip fault attacks. We propose a
modified LLVM compiler that considers our security objectives throughout
the compilation process. Experimental results illustrate the
effectiveness of this approach on AES implementations running on an
ARM-based microcontroller in terms of security overhead compared to
existing solutions.

Regards

--
Thierno Barry
PhD student at The French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA)