[llvm-dev] [RFC] GitHub Survey - Please review

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 19 05:50:44 PDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > There may be a difference between "impact on developer workflow"
> (long-term)
> > and "one-time impact" (e.g. reconfiguring build bots).
> > Maybe we can duplicate the question and add an option "No (one-time)
> impact"
> > to the second one?
>
> That's a good point. Though, I assume everyone will have "some"
> ont-time impact, and the real problem is if this is going to be
> impossible (or at least very hard) for people to work with Git in the
> long term goal.

For people who are doing read-only access, to include llvm in the build of
some other project, the impact might be as small as a one-time changing of
the URL for the "svn checkout" in their script.

Or maybe even using "svn relocate" on a permanent checkout (and their
script doesn't need to change its "svn up" or whatever). That does depend
on github's fake svn server output being absolutely identical to the
current svn server. I'm not sure whether that can be made true or not.