[llvm-dev] For the LLVM wishlist

ardi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 24 09:25:03 PDT 2016

Thanks a lot, Chris. However, during these weeks trying to build LLVM
myself, I learnt the issue is more of a mindset thing. I believed LLVM
was developed with a mindset/style similar to mine because its
warnings messages so closely match my way of coding, but, while
patching LLVM for building it in older systems, I learnt -from
patches/reports discussions- that LLVM development recommends
cutting-edge OS versions and discourages continued support of systems
that were supported at some moment.

That's a valid strategy, but opposite to my needs and my style. I
won't argue against it because it's a valid paradigm, but however it
turns clang into a compiler I'll only be able to use on a very small
subset of the Unices I support. I tried hard these weeks because I
really like clang, but I just found myself in a no way out road, a
symptom that it's not for me.

Thanks anyway,

ardi