[llvm-dev] RFC: EfficiencySanitizer working set tool

Qin Zhao via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 20 14:23:30 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Filipe Cabecinhas <filcab at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Derek Bruening via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > We will divide the program execution into regular intervals and record a
> > snapshot of the working set at each interval boundary.  An adaptive
> strategy
> > can keep the number of snapshots bounded across varying total execution
> time
> > by combining adjacent snapshots via logical or.  When a snapshot is
> > recorded, the shadow memory is cleared so that the next snapshot starts
> with
> > a blank slate.  If we use a 64 byte to 1 byte shadow mapping, we can use
> the
> > upper bits to store up to 8 consecutive snapshots in the shadow memory
> > itself by shifting rather than clearing the shadow memory on a snapshot.
> I forgot to add my previous questions:
>
> About the working set tool:
> How are you thinking about doing the snapshots? How do you plan to
> sync the several threads?
> Spawning an external process/"thread" (kind of like LSan), or internally?

I do not think synchronized operation is important here.
The tool should be able to tolerate certain level of racy updates.
We could either use the spawning thread or a simple time interrupt without
sideline thread.
Sampling without sideline thread has the advantage of providing some sample
call stack.
Sideline thread avoids app thread pausing for the scanning.
We may implement both.