[llvm-dev] Move InlineCost.cpp out of Analysis?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 18 15:20:59 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 3:16 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> *From: *"Chandler Carruth" <chandlerc at gmail.com>

But everything makes assumptions about its client? That's the whole point
of having a public API -- you need to be able to document your assumptions
well enough to have a reasonable public API. But that's not about analysis
vs. transforms, that's really true for *any* public API. For example, I
would expect anything in Transforms/Utils to document very clearly what
assumptions they make about their callers.

And I'm not even sure I buy that our inline cost is *that* specialized...
It uses TTI, another analysis, for estimating cost. It is essentially a
size cost estimation tool. The closest thing to this kind of assumption are
the *thresholds* is uses. Those should really be clear input parameters so
that callers can customize it.

Anyways, all of this is to say that I don't think the inline cost's public
API is in great shape, but I don't think it is inherently without a
reasonable public API. So I suspect we should be more trying to improve the
clarity and configurability of its API rather than moving things around.

But all of this is a digression. Let's get back to the meat of the subject
around ProfileData.