[llvm-dev] Is trapping allowed when an add with nsw flag overflows?

John Regehr via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 15 10:44:17 PDT 2016

No, trapping is not allowed, since an overflowing add nsw is defined to
produce a poison value, which sort of explodes into undefined behavior
if it reaches a side-effect.  This is to support speculative execution.

If you emit trapping adds for nsw, you'll see spurious traps every now
and then.

There's a stronger form of undefined behavior, exhibited by things like
divide by zero, that permits traps.

John