[llvm-dev] DAGIR

Derek Schuff via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 1 09:02:27 PDT 2016

Hello all,
The rich history of binary distribution formats based on LLVM
[0][1][2][3][4] has proven LLVM's viability as a launchpad for stable
platforms. However, issues with compilation time and compiler size have
suggested that the translator must do too much, i.e. LLVM IR isn't a
low-level enough virtual machine. So we introduce DAGIR ("dagger"), a new
portable close to the metal format, designed to unlock the potential of any
architecture for the digital world. DAGIR is a stable binary format derived
from LLVM's SelectionDAG virtual machine, a proven platform for
optimization and selection of machine architectures. Together with a new
linker ("celestia") and the well-known STABS ("stabs") debugging format,
this is a platform with a bright future and a host of possibilities for
stable, portable software that will power a sea of nodes of the coming
internet of virtual things. We look forward to working with the community
in supporting this exciting new development in pervasive portable
performance.

[0] http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/renderscript/compute.html
[1] https://developer.chrome.com/native-client/nacl-and-pnacl
[2] https://www.khronos.org/spir