[llvm-dev] New LLVM backend Target: compile procedure

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 30 12:42:39 PDT 2015

On 30 September 2015 at 11:46, Sundaran Narayanan via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>      Is all of this the right way to go about this ?

It all sounds reasonable. Since you're just starting you should be
using the CMake build system (we're trying to get rid of the
llvm/configure script). Make sure it reports finding out about your
directory to avoid wasting time with useless builds.

>      I expect i'll make have many issues/fixes to iterate over when
> modifying the files for my newTarget. Given, the build takes a long time, is
> there a way to do this faster ?  Already been waiting 20mins for it to
> finish.

When hacking around you usually get a huge saving from doing
incremental builds. Usually just a matter of seconds for modifying
files within your lib/Target/newUC. Modifying Triple.h is still very
bad though and causes an almost complete rebuild.

Just building the tool you're using to test speeds things up even more
"make llc" rather than "make all".

Cheers.

Tim.