[llvm-dev] Integration of AVR backend

Dylan McKay via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 3 20:35:16 PDT 2015

I maintain and develop an AVR backend for LLVM on GitHub
<https://github.com/avr-llvm/llvm>. It has now progressed quite far, with
the ability to compile most non-trivial programs unmodified (for example,
the Arduino <https://www.arduino.cc/> suite.

It has complete machine code/ELF support, also implementing the entire
instruction set (as of 2015), and a functionally-complete assembly parser.
David also implemented a test harness which allows executing our CodeGen
tests on AVR, integrated into the testing suite. On-target execution tests
can be run with `make check` and by defining a single environment variable.

The other main contributor, David (CC’d), would like to get the backend
integrated into LLVM trunk.

What are your thoughts?
​