[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 18:48:28 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 6:23 PM Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com>
wrote:

> On 10/13/2015 06:17 PM, Philip Reames wrote:
>
> (This part would be fine as either a phabricator review comment or a post
> commit suggestion for improvement.)
>

> Realized after sending my last that this sentence was unclear.  I meant
> that it was at a level of detail best addressed in the form of an actual
> review.  Doing this entirely by email is somewhat of a waste of time.  It's
> minor enough that I'd be fine suggesting a patch to revise after the
> initial policy lands.

Strongly agreed. =D

I will probably send out an revision tomorrow incorporating several of the
good suggestions made throughout this thread, and also send out a patch
that adds the policy with DRAFT markers, etc.

> One implicit assumption I have that I should probably call out is that we
> will land a draft of this proposal, and then use our usual processes to
> revise it in minor ways.  Initial landing does not a policy make; I'd
> suggest we explicitly make this a draft for a while.  Once interested
> parties are relatively happy, we can send out an update to llvm-dev with a
> proposal to remove the draft-ness.  I think we need to get a lot more
> visibility before this is ready to move out of draft state.

I actually see relatively broad consensus on the most important points.
While some more visibility would be very good, I'd like to get the
remaining critical iteration done (for example, concretely set up the
advisory committee, etc.) and hopefully remove the "draft" markers next
week.

Even when the draft markers are gone, I don't expect all changes to stop
(nor would that seem reasonable). I think this can and should evolve over
time if necessary, especially around the process we use for handling these
kinds of things.

-Chandler