[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Aaron Ballman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 12:23:53 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On 13 October 2015 at 19:30, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For some of the reasons we at least need to make it clear the scope:
>> http://adainitiative.org/2014/02/18/howto-design-a-code-of-conduct-for-your-community/
>
> Seems like a very personal opinion, and most things in there are
> relevant to physical gatherings, only scratching the surface of
> virtual communities. I don't think that should be canon to anything we
> do, including the special emphasis on physical harassment and
> unilateral harsh consequences. These are critical to solving physical
> altercations, yes, but on the list or IRC? On our conferences? On our
> socials? Really?
>
> If we're just preparing for the future, maybe we should also consider
> how a potential zombie apocalypses would offend brain-loving people
> today.

I don't think this is a particularly constructive way to continue this
conversation.

> The concept of harassment includes verbal, mental, physical, logical,
> or anything else that still doesn't exist, we don't need to be
> specific. Someone said earlier, the more specific we are now, the more
> we'll argue about it. We don't need that.

You say "we", but I'm certain that you don't mean to speak for
everyone. I, for one, am glad that the LLVM Foundation is putting in
these efforts to make a CoC. Others have expressed similar sentiments.
I think our community does need one, and I think the one that has been
proposed is a good starting point for conversation.

~Aaron