[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 12:20:33 PDT 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 19:30, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at gmail.com> wrote:
> For some of the reasons we at least need to make it clear the scope:
> http://adainitiative.org/2014/02/18/howto-design-a-code-of-conduct-for-your-community/

Seems like a very personal opinion, and most things in there are
relevant to physical gatherings, only scratching the surface of
virtual communities. I don't think that should be canon to anything we
do, including the special emphasis on physical harassment and
unilateral harsh consequences. These are critical to solving physical
altercations, yes, but on the list or IRC? On our conferences? On our
socials? Really?

If we're just preparing for the future, maybe we should also consider
how a potential zombie apocalypses would offend brain-loving people
today.

The concept of harassment includes verbal, mental, physical, logical,
or anything else that still doesn't exist, we don't need to be
specific. Someone said earlier, the more specific we are now, the more
we'll argue about it. We don't need that.

I also don't understand why specifically the Django CoC is so
important for us to follow.

cheers,
--renato