[llvm-dev] LiveVariables clears the MO::IsDead bit from non-RA, physical regs, but never restores it. Bug?

Johnson, Nicholas Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 17 14:57:59 PST 2015

I am observing poor instruction scheduling in my out-of-tree target.  The problem is an over-constrained scheduling DAG.  In particular, the DAG includes spurious output dependencies on physical, non-register-allocatable registers.  MISched already includes code to avoid this problem.  However that code relies on information clobbered by the earlier pass LiveVariables.

I wonder whether this is a bug in the LiveVariables pass and would appreciate feedback.  Let me expand with a small example,

Suppose my target declares machine instruction type FOO that implicitly writes a condition-code register named 'F_OVERFLOW'.  F_OVERFLOW is a physical register and is not register-allocatable.  Consider this sequence of instructions: